Android Developer - Nexkey, Inc.
Nexkey is changing the way people experience access to physical spaces. We
believe that the future is keyless and access should be more frictionless than it is
Today, we may use a keycard for the office, keypad for the garage, and various
keys for everything else. Nexkey will be the one glue between your digital identity
and physical space. For that to happen, we believe smarter access should be
available for every type of business, not just the big guys.
That’s why Nexkey created the most affordable, effortless, and compatible access
control platform in the industry.
Over 5,000 users joined the Nexkey Platform in the first six months since it was
introduced to the world. The company continues to experience explosive growth in
users and customers. It’s a great problem to have, but it takes critical talent to build
and scale a successful startup. We’re a company backed by leading VCs, including
Upfront Ventures and K9 Ventures, with a mission to revolutionize digital identity
software and hardware globally, so we need game-changers that are up for that
Nexkey is seeking an Android Developer to add to its Software team. As an Android
Developer, you will work closely with Nexkey’s Mobile, Backend, Web, and Firmware
developers and report directly to the Head of Software. Critical to this role is the
ability to make sound product and architectural decisions while working
autonomously. You should have solid skills in problem solving, self-guided research,
and excellent communication. You must have previous proven experience working
on an Android app from concept to production in the App Store, and regularly
managing a release schedule. The ideal candidate has worked with innovative
technologies to design groundbreaking products in the IoT space. You should have
a natural knack for understanding what users want and need, and transforming that
feedback into successful user experiences.
● Take ownership of the Nexkey Android app.
● Design, Develop, and Deploy the Nexkey Android app on a regular cadence.
● Ensure a high quality user experience in the Nexkey Android app.
● Improve testing strategies for Android.
● Track down and fix bugs by actively monitoring and examining bug reports.
● Help create a delightful and consistent user experience across all client platforms by
communicating with iOS and Web teams.
● Help define the client/server API by having regular architectural meetings with the
● Stay current with the latest technologies and apply them to improve the Nexkey
Android app’s robustness, efficiency and maintainability.
● Share knowledge and technical expertise with other members of the team.
● Apply best practices and security measures to protect our data and that of our
● Passion for Android development.
● Excellent communication skills.
● Previous experience developing Android apps with Android Studio.
● Previous proven experience directly deploying an Android app to the Play Store.
● Proficiency with Java and the Android development ecosystem.
● Experience working with popular 3rd party Android frameworks (Butterknife, OkHttp,
● Experience working with Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE).
● Strong eye for beautiful design and good feel for user experience.
● BA degree in Computer Science or Engineering preferred.
● Minimum 3+ years of relevant coding and work experience required.
Nexkey is a smart, dedicated, and agile team. Most of the time you’ll see everyone
with all-hands on deck working on the next big feature, or huddled in a conference
room discussing opportunities to redesign processes that improve our customer
loyalty and experience. We are obsessed with our products, and passionate about
changing the digital identity industry. We are a team that likes to have fun together,
whether it’s in-office events or grabbing lunch or Happy Hour drinks in one of the
many amazing spots around downtown San Mateo.
We are looking for people that promote and set the example for what it means to
be a team player, and communicate with everyone in a way that promotes trust and
respect across the board. You will have an opportunity to make a huge impact right
away, and help create an inspiring and engaging culture for the company. If these
values coincide with what you’re seeking, then we would love to hear from you.
Equal Opportunity Employer Clause
We value a diverse workplace. Nexkey is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Your age,
race, gender, sexual orientation, religion, disability, or any other applicable
legally-protected characteristics make no difference to us. If you are smart, good at
what you do, and want to work hard to build innovative software and products that
will revolutionize the digital identity and access control industry then come as you