We are seeking a Software Engineer, with a depth of experience in developing Web Applications enabled using REST APIs and backed by a data warehouse solution, to join our growing company and be a part of our success story. We are looking for individual with great attention to detail, who is genuine, confident, committed and not only passionate about technology, but excited to work in a fun and friendly start-up environment. The ideal candidate will be passionate about technology and getting things to work while at the same time being able to mentor (and lead) other engineers by way of example to achieve excellence in their work.
What does the role involve?
As a Web Backend Principal Software Engineer you will be responsible for creating REST APIs which are used to drive the User Interface. Given the nature of the application, these APIs needs to be very efficient and high performing. This requires optimising queries for faster execution and introducing database changes that may be required.
You would be working with a complex technology stack which includes (but is not limited to) Spring, Hibernate, HornetQ, Quartz, etc. This requires extensive understanding of transaction management and data handling across different application layers.
In addition to the technical ownership, you will also be involved in detailing requirements for requested functionalities and be responsible for providing technical insight into how requirements will be implemented and made available to users. Accurate estimation of tasks and planning are qualities we look for in our engineers.
- Develop, test, implement and maintain application software
- Take part in software and architectural development activities
- Transform requirements into implementation details
- Debug application issues and helping support respond to client queries
- May lead and provide mentoring and guidance to less senior developers
- Participate in application development meetings
- Provide accurate estimates, clearly communicate status of tasks and identification of risks
- Commitment to accomplishing the task at hand and identify the fastest and most reliable way to solve a problem
- Performance tuning of application code at different service levels
- Incorporate design changes to improve performance of the application
- Interact with customers of the application and help address issues reported
- Interact with customers of the application and collect requirements or potential uses cases and draft technical and user requirements
Essential Skills / Experience Required
- Minimum Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or equivalent
- Minimum 8+ years experience with Java and J2EE/Java EE
- Minimum 8+ years experience with Spring MVC, Spring Security and Hibernate
- 2+ years experience managing in colocated and remote teams
- Strong understanding of relational database and normal forms
- Strong understanding of SQL concepts and ability to write optimised and high performing queries
- Strong understanding of Java concurrency, concurrency patterns, experience building thread safe code
- Experience building RESTful web services
- Experience with web application servers like JBoss
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Strong interpersonal skills and time management skills
- Strong problem solving and analytical skills
- Experience using task tracking systems e.g. Jira and distributed version control systems e.g. Git
- Understanding of testNg/JUnit
- Unix/Windows shell and related command line tools
- Experience with database partitioning and column Indexing
- Experience with query optimisation techniques
Why work for us?
- Above market remuneration
- Potential stock options
- Major Medical Insurance
- Stimulating challenges that fully utilise your skills
- Great modern office in an ideal location and with free coffee and beer
- Travel opportunities to BlueOptima's international offices
- Work on real-world technical problems to which solution cannot simply be found on the internet
- Working alongside other passionate, talented engineers
- Our fast-growing company offers the potential for rapid career progression