At Terminal, we identify emerging tech hubs around the globe, and connect the top engineers with the most compelling companies. We provide complete operations and services to give companies all the benefits of a new office without any of the hassle. We are focused on building a diverse and inclusive workforce. Terminal is an Equal Opportunity Employer and considers applicants for employment without regard to race, colour, religion, sex, orientation, national origin, age, disability, genetics or any other basis forbidden under federal, provincial, or local law.
OpenGov was founded in 2012 by Zac Bookman, Joe Lonsdale, and technologists from Stanford University, who studied government budgeting in the aftermath of the Great Recession. They observed dedicated public servants struggle against outdated technology that prevented them from accessing timely spending information and communicating their priorities to citizens and elected officials. Believing there was a better way, the team set out to build a cloud-based solution to power more effective and accountable government. Today over 2,000 public agencies in 48 states form a growing network leveraging OpenGov to achieve better budgeting, performance, communications, reporting, and open data that ultimately result in better outcomes for the public. We value self-starters with the ability to communicate ideas effectively and contribute to OpenGov's culture of respect, dedication, and fun. We value clean code, principles over dogma, and making the world better every day.
What you bring
- 4+ years of professional experience and track record of developing high-quality scalable code using Ruby on Rails in a small, agile team
- 3+ years delivering software using an agile methodology (Scrum ideally)
- Experience building SAAS software or heavily trafficked consumer-facing software
- Experience with cloud-native software delivery (including containerization)
- Successfully built APIs, architected database models, and event-driven patterns
- Solid SQL experience
- Java experience is a plus
What you have
- Strong verbal and written communication skills in English are required
- Solid OOP and software design knowledge
- Ability to solve complex problems and provide solutions that can be applied optimally in a service environment
What you'll do
As a Fullstack Engineer , you’ll build best-in-class SaaS solutions that enable efficiency, transparency, and accountability within government agencies. You’ll be a key member of our engineering team, delivering new features and improvements in a fast-paced, agile environment using modern technologies.
Having a keen eye for good API design, scalability, and micro-service architecture will help enable your success in addition to your ability to develop new UI features and functionality using React and Redux.
- Ship critical customer use cases for Budget and Performance products
- Maintain current and implement new features in Ruby on Rails for an application that often has over 10k concurrent users
- Write high-performing, maintainable code while iterating and shipping rapidly
- Collaborate with stakeholders across Design, Product Management, and Engineering
- Deliver iterative improvements to realize a product vision on schedule
- Replace legacy components with smaller, easier to maintain microservices
- Significantly refactor legacy Ruby code to improve code maintainability and efficiency
- Develop new UI features and refactor existing code using Ruby on Rails, ReactJS, NodeJS, PostgreSQL and Redis
- Develop and document REST APIs
- Consume and publish events via our Data Platform
- Improve the performance of existing systems
- Configure monitoring and alerting systems