Software Development Manager – Remote
Nivel de Inglés
Location : Remote – US
GitHub is changing the way the world builds software, and we want you to help build GitHub! We’re looking for an experienced software engineering manager to join the Code Search team.
More of the world’s code lives on GitHub than anywhere else, and the Code Search team is responsible for making this code easy to search, and navigate. As a team, we are committed to solving the interesting engineering challenges optimizing for search effectiveness, features, scalability, and cost.
In this role, you will have the opportunity to work as the engineering manager leading a distributed and passionate team delivering the platform and the infrastructure that millions of developers depend on. You will be responsible for organizing the team, providing technical leadership, and helping your team grow in their careers through feedback and coaching. You will also be involved in the design, rollout, and support of a highly performant, highly scalable and highly available platform with your team and product managers. Code Search is a very complex problem space and you will help your senior team navigate uncertainty and make effective implementation tradeoff decisions, relying on careful reasoning and decision making around a significant infrastructure budget.
In addition, we support and reward spending time on improving diversity, inclusion, and belonging, as well as other important improvement-work outside your core role as an engineering manager.
Together we are creating the tools and products that are integral to how people build software. We pride ourselves on being thoughtful, intentional, and productive. We value learning, introspection and reflection, and we’re always looking for ways to improve as a team and as individuals, so candor and a culture that values safety to speak up are highly important to us.
- Cultivate an environment where team members are empowered and demonstrate a strong sense of ownership and belonging
- Ensure that individuals on the team are learning, growing and advancing in their respective careers
- Ensure the team builds software that is architecturally consistent and of high quality to reliably meet customer needs
- Work with the team to understand technical constraints and develop, communicate, and track against realistic plans to consistently ship products, features, and bug fixes
- Ensure the team, the company and the community have a clear understanding of the direction of the projects and the reasoning behind decisions
- Coordinate with engineering and product leadership to define and prioritize projects that help us meet business objectives
- Mentor, pair, and delegate work to encourage the professional and technical growth of your team and those around you
- Support a highly available service used by millions of users on a daily basis
- 5+ years of experience leading engineering teams delivering high availability, enterprise grade services, with 3 or more years delivering complex distributed systems
- 4+ years of experience developing production software using C/C++, C#, dotnet core, Ruby, Go or an equivalent language
- Passionate about fostering good engineering practices and processes
- Experience effectively developing a strategy and roadmap for your teams
- Solid understanding of testing principles and high quality software
- Demonstrated design skills for large scale and highly available cloud services or distributed systems
- Familiarity with DevOps best practices such as understanding of continuous integration & deployment as well as the ability to gather, analyze, debug and fix problems that occur with live production systems
- Experience with SQL, general database knowledge.
- Understanding of production system monitoring & observability is necessary.
- Troubleshooting skills across network, application, caching, queuing, load-balancing, storage and distributed services layers.
- Excellent analytical skills as well as communication skills both verbal and written. We’re a distributed team so we’re extra mindful about communication.
- Strong customer focus and data driven approach
- At least 1 year of remote work experience leading a software team
Who We Are:
GitHub is the developer company. We make it easier for developers to be developers: to work together, to solve challenging problems, and to create the world’s most important technologies. We foster a collaborative community that can come together—as individuals and in teams—to create the future of software and make a difference in the world.
Customer Obsessed – Trust by Default – Ship to Learn – Own the Outcome – Growth Mindset – Global Product, Global Team – Anything is Possible – Practice Kindness
Why You Should Join:
At GitHub, we constantly strive to create an environment that allows our employees (Hubbers) to do the best work of their lives. We’ve designed one of the coolest workspaces in San Francisco (HQ), where many Hubbers work, snack, and create daily. The rest of our Hubbers work remotely around the globe. Check out an updated list of where we can hire here: https://github.com/about/careers/remote
We are also committed to keeping Hubbers healthy, motivated, focused and creative. We’ve designed our top-notch benefits program with these goals in mind. In a nutshell, we’ve built a place where we truly love working, we think you will too.
GitHub is made up of people from a wide variety of backgrounds and lifestyles. We embrace diversity and invite applications from people of all walks of life. We don’t discriminate against employees or applicants based on gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, race, religion, age, national origin, citizenship, disability, pregnancy status, veteran status, or any other differences. Also, if you have a disability, please let us know if there’s any way we can make the interview process better for you; we’re happy to accommodate!
Please note that benefits vary by country. If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to ask your Talent Partner.