Sr. Staff Software Engineer, Backend – Remote
Nivel de Inglés
Location : Remote – US
Slack is looking for Senior Staff Backend Engineers to build features, design and implement API methods, and improve the performance and reliability of our systems as we rapidly scale our product and organization. We have backend engineers in almost every team across Slack, and in that role, you’ll be making some of the most significant decisions for the company.
We build our app using reliable tools that our team knows and trusts, including PHP/Hack, Java, MySQL, and Linux. Expertise in these areas is a huge plus, but having familiarity with other common web languages (such as Python or Ruby) and other relational databases are fine substitutes. We’re a collaborative team who genuinely enjoys working together with a cross-functional team of product managers, designers, frontend, iOS, Android, automation, and quality engineers to make Slack a better product. We are looking for engineers that understand that simplicity and reliability are aspects of a system to be carefully calculated with every decision made.
A taste of our scale and reach:
- Users spend over 10 hours connected and 2+ hours active in Slack every work day.
- 10M+ Daily Active Users in more than 150 countries.
- 1.5 billion messages are sent per month, half of those outside the United States.
- Every day we see over 3.5 million simultaneously connected users, over 3.5 billion web requests, over 42 billion database queries per day, and our systems see over 1 million queries/second in our caching tier.
- We have 8.8M+ app installations with 155,000 weekly active developers building on the platform.
- 90% of our paid teams on Slack actively use apps.
Slack has a positive, diverse, and supportive culture—we look for people who are curious, inventive, and work to be a little better every single day. In our work together we aim to be smart, humble, hardworking and, above all, collaborative. If this sounds like a good fit for you, why not say hello?
What you will be doing
- You’ll lead technical strategy and efforts for broad or complex requirements with insightful and forward-looking approaches that have an impact on an entire engineering function and solve large open-ended problems.
- You’ll set the vision for strategic development of methods, techniques, and evaluation criteria for projects and programs across the engineering organization.
- You’ll direct and guide the efforts of a pillar or functional group through delegation to senior technical leaders.
- You’ll proactively identify and remedy communication gaps and issues to reach alignments for complex issues across diverse audience and influence organizational goals and strategy.
- You’ll actively own features or systems and define their long-term health, while also improving the health of surrounding systems.
- You’ll train engineers for incident response and command.
- You’ll be a trusted coach and mentor, actively building new leaders at Slack through continuous feedback.
What you should have
- You’ve been building web applications professionally for 12+ years.
- You have experience with functional or imperative programming languages — e.g., PHP, Python, Ruby, Go, C, or Java.
- You can own technical architecture discussions and lead technical decisions for an engineering organization.
- You write understandable, testable code with an eye towards maintainability.
- You are an excellent communicator. Explaining complex technical concepts to senior leadership and other engineers is no problem for you.
- You possess strong computer science fundamentals: data structures, algorithms, programming languages, distributed systems, and information retrieval.
- You have a bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Engineering or a related field, or equivalent training, fellowship, or work experience
Slack is registered as an employer in many, but not all, states. If you are not located in or able to work from a state where Slack is registered, you will not be eligible for employment.